Definition of Personal Information
Personal information that is de-identified and/or aggregated and cannot be associated with an identifiable individual is not considered to be personal information. Personal information also excludes your business contact information that the Board collects, uses or discloses solely for the purpose of communicating or facilitating communication with you in relation to your employment, business or profession, such as your name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, work fax number or work electronic address.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
When the Board collects personal information directly from you, the purpose for the collection will be identified at or before the time the information is collected. The Board generally collects your personal information and uses it for the following purposes:
- to administer and maintain an up-to-date membership and other stakeholder rosters, including membership status, directories and account balances;
- to establish and maintain Board membership and offer member services;
- to establish and maintain other program accounts and offer related services; for the collection of a Member’s or other’s account;
- to register participants to Board events and programs;
- to offer and sell various Board products or services including information products (data, surveys and publications), events and any other products, programs or services the Board may offer from time to time;
- to process and administer payments for Board membership, product or services;
- to conduct membership and other stakeholder outreach and communications, including member surveys on policy issues so that we may better reflect the views of our Members in our advocacy initiatives. You have a Right to Withdraw Consent to the use of your personal information for communication with you for marketing purposes;
- to understand and assess the interests, preferences and changing needs of Members and other stakeholders with a view to improving our products and services and developing new ones;
- to provide personalized products and services as well as recommendations for Members and others;
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements and allow the Board to meet contractual requirements relating to our products and services; or
- to report a claim to our insurer or meet other reporting requirements under our insurance policies.
Unless required or authorized by law, the Board will not collect or use personal information for any other purposes without obtaining further consent.
The Board seeks consent for all personal information we collect, use and disclose through information provided to individuals prior to collection, or at the time of collection.
Sharing and Disclosure of Personal Information
- Business transaction. We may disclose personal information to a third party, such as prospective or actual purchasers, assignees and creditors, in connection with a sale or transfer of business or assets, an amalgamation, re-organization, financing or refinancing of parts of our business. However, in the event the transaction is completed, your personal information will remain protected by applicable privacy laws. In the event the transaction is not completed, we will require the other party not to use or disclose your personal information in any manner whatsoever and to completely delete such information.
- As permitted or required by law. From time to time, we may be compelled to disclose personal information to third parties, including governments or regulators, in response to a law, regulation, court order, subpoena, valid demand, search warrant, government investigation or other legally valid request or inquiry. We may also disclose information to our accountants, auditors, agents and lawyers in connection with the enforcement or protection of our legal rights. We also reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful or to law enforcement, or where required or permitted by law. We may release certain personal information when we have reasonable grounds to believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of others and ourselves, in accordance with or as authorized by law.
- Credit grantors and reporting agencies. We may provide your personal information to credit grantors and reporting agencies, subject to applicable law.
Safeguarding Personal Information
The Board respects the privacy of our Members, partners, site visitors and will protect that privacy as vigorously as possible. We store personal information in electronic and physical files that are secure. Our security measures include secure on and off-site storage, restricted access to records and data processing equipment, password protocols and encryption and security software when you order a product or service online. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from us electronically. This is especially true for information you transmit to us via e-mail. We have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best efforts to ensure its security on our servers. Note however that payment information is filtered through an industry standard payment security protocol and security software when you order a product or service on-line.
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it was collected and for which consent was received, unless otherwise required by law. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfil the identified purposes will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous. The Board has developed and implemented detailed retention principles, and will ensure destruction of personal information in a method that prevents improper access
Access/Correction of Personal Information and Inquiries
The Board respects your right to access and correct or amend your personal information. If you have an account with the Board, you can log into your account at any time to access and update the information have provided to us. You may also make a request to our privacy officer using the contact information in the section entitled “How to Contact Us.” Requests for access or correction, inquiries or any concerns about our management of your personal information should be in writing and include: your name, contact details, membership number and the nature of your request. We may require proof of your identity to ensure that we do not inadvertently disclose your personal information to someone else without your consent.
The Board generally collects and uses personal information from or about its Website visitors and users as follows:
- Information you provide.In many cases, we collect personal information directly from you when you visit or use our site. For instance, we may collect the following types of information:
- Inquiries. You may provide information to us by email or filling out a form on the site. If you choose to identify yourself and provide us with personal information, we may use that information to respond to your message and to help get you the information you have requested. The Board treats emails the same way it treats letters sent to the Board.
- Online credit card transactions. As a convenience to Members and other users, the Board accepts online credit card transactions through its secure server. The credit card information provided by users on our site is submitted directly to the Board staff. This information is not used for any other purpose.
- Technical information. When you visit our site, we may collect, using electronic means such as cookies, technical information. This information may include information about your visit to our site, including the IP address of your computer and which browser you used to view our site, your operating system, resolution of screen, location, language settings in browsers, the site you came from, keywords searched (if arriving from a search engine), the number of page views, information you entered, advertisements you have seen, the date and time you accessed our site, etc. This data is used to measure and improve the effectiveness of our website or enhance the experience for our Members and visitors. We treat this information as personal information when it is associated with your account or contact information.
- Google Analytics. We use Google Analytics which allows us to see information on site activities including, but not limited to, page views, source and time spent on our website. This information is depersonalized and is displayed as numbers, meaning that it cannot be tracked back to individuals. You may opt-out of our use of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt-out page.
- Right to Withdraw Consent. Consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information may be withdrawn at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, by using the contact information provided in the section entitled “How to Contact Us.” However, without such consent, the Board may limit the services or products it is able to provide to you.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children. Our services and Website are not meant for children. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child without parental confirmation, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
How to Contact Us
Toronto Region Board of Trade
1 First Canadian Place, P.O Box 60