Technology is a business climate influencer that stands to impact each of the Board’s strategic pillars—trade, transportation and talent. The Board is focused on the outcomes technology delivers to achieve civic aims and how being a smart city can position the Toronto region as a global champion.
Notable Projects & Initiatives
- Toronto Region: Canada's Innovation Corridor - The Toronto Region is the economic engine of Canada, with a diverse population and economy, a positive business climate, and a strong culture of innovation.
- Smart Cities Survey Report of Findings – One-half of Torontonians are aware of the Quayside project. Most support it, but prefer there be public control of data from Smart Cities.
- Redefining Global Financial Centres in a Fintech Era – Partnering with Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) and Toronto Financial Services Alliance (TFSA), the Board hosted its first symposium to connect industry players for a discussion on how to create a financial services ecosystem where the region’s fintech companies and traditional institutions co-exist and partner to become a global financial centre.
- Framework for a Smarter Toronto: A Call for Collaborative Action – Produced by the Smart Cities Working Group, the Board’s second Smart Cities report summarized actions to date, benchmarked Toronto-specific metrics alongside six global cities and proposed recommendations for the City to champion and amplify our smart efforts.
- BiblioTech – Beyond Quayside
Sidewalk Labs’ development of a smart city neighbourhood at Waterfront Toronto’s Quayside site has prompted public debate about the need for long-term digital governance solutions for Toronto. The Board proposes that the Toronto Public Library should be assigned to develop the governance structure of a Civic Data Hub, and manage the collection and use of data from Quayside and other future smart city developments.
- Delivering Solutions & Showcasing Leadership
The Board’s second Annual Smart Cities Summit connected more than 275 city builders to implement the smarter Toronto vision, kick-start regional collaboration and develop a strategy for Toronto’s participation in the Smart Cities Challenge. Click here to see the Summit Video.
Can't find what you're looking for? Send us your questions at email@example.com.