Export – Why Now?
There has never been a better time for Toronto region companies to tap into global trade opportunities. A lower Canadian dollar, limited domestic growth, dropping commodity prices and a resurgent U.S. economy have created the right climate for businesses to be successful in exploring global market opportunities.
The Board has produced an Export Strategy Report, which assesses the region's readiness to compete internationally and makes recommendations for how we can achieve greater export capacity among Toronto region businesses.
Through consultation with the Brookings Institution, who has helped 28 U.S. metro regions map plans to expand their export activity by the end of 2015 and consulting our Members and stakeholders, the report identifies some key barriers to exporting experienced by both non-exporters and current exporters, including:
and proposes an Export Strategy for the Toronto region to help companies overcome these and other barriers to global trade:
- Lack the company resources for market research
- Difficulty finding overseas customers, agents or distributors
- Insufficient allocation of company resources and personnel
Goal: Get more GTA businesses to tap into global markets
- Increase the number of GTA businesses exporting
- Create a culture of international trade and investment across the region
- Grow the export capacity of the region’s small to medium sized businesses
- Consolidate export resources and leverage the private sector's expertise and sponsorship of its most export viable client companies
- Focus on targeted traded clusters and markets
- Advocacy: document and benchmark the region`s export activities and progress
Produced with the support of Air Canada and Unifor, this report provides the foundation for our TAP GTA (Trade Accelerator Program), a unique regional export support system being developed together with public and private sector leaders to help more companies to tap into global trade.
View/download the full report.
News Release: Barriers preventing businesses from accessing global markets
Toronto Region Board of Trade launches export program
Madhavi Acharya-Tom Yew, The Star
Additional TAP GTA Pages: