The Toronto region is the economic engine of Canada, one of the world’s most dynamic business capitals, and a crucial centre of entrepreneurship, research and innovation. Along with the bustling City of Toronto at its core, the region includes four rapidly growing regional municipalities: Durham, Halton, Peel and York. We are at the centre of Southern Ontario’s Golden Horseshoe, containing approximately a quarter of Canada’s population, and within a few hours drive of the largest and richest markets in North America containing over 40 million people.
With over six million people, the Toronto region is not only the largest urban centre in Canada, it is also the most diverse. Over 140 languages and dialects can be heard on our streets and in our parks, shops and boardrooms. Just over 30 per cent of residents speak a language other than English or French at home. The City of Toronto is home to 30 per cent of all recent immigrants -- and 20 per cent of all immigrants to Canada.
The region generates one-fifth of the gross domestic product of Canada and hosts nearly 40 per cent of Canadian corporate headquarters. While the City of Toronto remains Canada’s bustling financial engine as home to our nation’s largest banks and investment houses, the surrounding urban centres are home to several leading economic clusters that will drive prosperity and the culture of innovation in Canada over the next century. These include manufacturing, information technology, digital media, human health sciences, education, food and agriculture, resource development, construction and engineering.
Additional Online Resources:
- Invest Toronto helps companies relocate to Toronto, gaining access to our markets, talent and business resources:
- Travel and tourism news and information about Toronto, featuring ideas on things to do, places to see, and where to stay:
- Finding your way around our city is easy with these information tools from the City of Toronto:
- A guide to what's happening in the city, including events, festivals, sports, theatre and seasonal activities:
- Interested in doing business in Toronto? Need help finding investment opportunities? Start here to find out about business licensing and incentives:
- Enterprise Toronto is an innovative public- and private-sector alliance created to provide a one-stop resource for entrepreneurs and small businesses:
- The Greater Toronto Market Alliance is a public-private partnership that helps businesses explore opportunities to invest, expand or relocate: